Satellite
  • Day 141

    Greenwich, England

    May 4, 2018 in England ⋅ 🌙 54 °F

    At London, our final port, we decided that we would spend our time walking near the ship's anchorage at Greenwich. We walked past the Cutty Sark, and visited the Royal Greenwich Observatory with its excellent display about astronomy and the calculation of longitude. I especially wanted to go inside St. Alphege's Church to see the organ played by Henry Purcell. While there, I was surprised to find a monument to General James Wolf, who died at the Battle of Montreal in the French and Indian Wars. After lunch at the Crown & Anchor, a proper English pub, we went back up the hill toward the observatory to see the rose garden. Unfortunately, no roses were blooming, so we came back down the hill to see the wonderful exhibits at the Queen's House and the Royal Maritime Museum. We finished across the street at the Royal Naval College and were awed by its lovely chapel. We were back on the ship for our last night of sleep in our wonderful little stateroom, and ready for an early departure on the morning of May 5, 2018, the official end of our Viking Ocean Cruises Inaugural World Cruise.

    Here are some interesting facts from our cruise:
    Highlights included : 5 Continents, 35 countries, 66 port stops, crossing the equator twice, crossing the international dateline, going through the Panama Canal and Suez Canal. Distance traveled approximately 36,000 miles.
    Some interesting facts:
    Only 476 people did the entire cruise from Miami to London.
    257 people did the cruise from Los Angles to London.
    62,181 Lbs. of Potatoes were peeled and consumed.
    114,633 bread loaves were baked.
    289,137 Bed sheets and pillowcases were washed.
    55,000 rolls of TP were used.
    Most importantly 124,081 bottles of wine were emptied! That worked out to 2.6 glasses per day for each passenger. This was at least double what Viking had expected. I did not get my entire share but others more than made up for it.
    Read more