Satellite
  • Day 1

    Arriving in Iceland

    February 9, 2015 in Iceland ⋅ 🌧 37 °F

    Glenda arrived in Reykjavik and was greeted by temperatures in the twenties, high winds, and lost luggage. Glenda was doing the best she could with a sweater until we could get to the mall to buy clothing to tide us over until the airline located our luggage, and Glenda had packed her coat, gloves, and hats in checked baggage. Air Canada lost our luggage in Toronto. Arriving in Reykjavik we went shopping at Kringle Shopping Center. We ate 3 slices of pizza for an early lunch at Sbarro while waiting for the shops to open. A store called 66 Degrees North was too expensive, so I got a knit cap and gloves at a cheaper store called Haikaup. To kill time we visited Hallsgrimskirkje, then went to the Pearl, a visitors' center and restaurant, where we warmed up with coffee and delicious chocolate cake.

    Air Canada lost our luggage in Toronto. The cafeteria manager told me that the Saga Museum had moved, so we went to its new location near the old harbor. That site also happened to be near our hotel. Glenda saw a Bonus Store across the street. We loaded up on water and emergency food supplies. Coming back to the hotel, she checked in, and I parked our Toyota RAV 4 Diesel in a parking lot about a ten-minute walk from the Center Plaza Hotel. We unloaded our luggage, then as we were going to the car to bring in more water, Glenda saw a clothing store with Icelandic sweaters. We each bought one to cover us until our luggage was located. In the late afternoon we walked in the snow about half an hour to find the Red Cross Consignment Store, where she shopped for waterproof pants. Finding none, we went to get supper at the Fish House. I photographed it and the building next to it, just a few doors down from our hotel. It is the oldest building still standing in Reykjavik, built in the late eighteenth century. The Fish House was a bit more expensive than we had expected, so we then went to have a meal of traditional Icelandic hot dogs from the hot dog stand in the plaza. They were delicious. We came back to the room to organize our packs for tomorrow. I do hope our luggage arrives soon.
    Read more