Satellite
  • Day 13

    Day 12 11th March Weather brewing

    March 11, 2018 in Antarctica ⋅ ☁️ 25 °C

    This morning our destination was Portal Point, however the dark, dark clouds and wind have come upon us, so we headed up the Gerlache Strait to Graham Passage. We boarded our zodiacs and took off in snowy, bleak conditions. We saw some whales that were logging - they obviously thought the weather horrid, so stayed asleep. We rode the waves in the zodiac, crunched some ice and took in the fabulous landscape.
    Wildlife: Humpback whales, Chinstrap penguin, terns, and birds.
    After lunch the weather looked horrid so I told Stephen if I should fall asleep before the next zodiac ride -leave me be - he did exactly that. As it turned out the weather cleared, blue skies all around (the first time for the whole trip) - conditions were so good they stayed out for 2.15 hours instead of the planned 1.30 hours. Needles to say I am sulking so I will leave it to Stephen to tell you all. Unfortunately for Carolynne probably the best zodiac trip so far. We zodiaced on Cievra Bay, lots of ice and icebergs which we motored through, Humpback and minke whales, leopard, fur and Crabeater seals, Chinstrap and Gentoo penguins on the shore, rafting at sea, jumping down rocks, a variety of birds all in full sunshine. There was also an Argentinian research base to view.
    Read more