Satellite
  • Day 13

    Buenos Aires, Here We Come

    February 28, 2018 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    After two lovely days in Iguazu, and some nice time sitting poolside with yummy drinks, Buenos Aires beckoned. So, we headed for the airport and we were off.

    Our arrival in BA was quite eventful. After careful research on the internet, Arie determined that we could take an Uber to the apartment that we had rented. I was not super enthusiastic, given my extreme dislike for Uber, but since the cost was 20% of the cost of a taxi ride, I said ok. The first hurdle was finding the parking lot in which Uber picks up customers. As is true in the US, Uber drivers are not welcome in the taxicab lines, so we had to locate the lot for short term parking. Once we found the right spot, the driver couldn’t find us. Finally, we found each other and jumped in the car. Unlike in Santiago, where the Uber driver had informed us that if we were stopped by the police, we should say the driver was our friend, this driver said nothing. About 2 blocks past the airport we were pulled over by the traffic cops. Our driver had to exit the car and show his license and car registration. We were asked questions in Spanish, and played dumb. Then a cop who spoke English came over and asked how we had summoned the car. Arie said we had used the app, and we were told that Uber was illegal in BA, and we had to get out. The driver handed us our bags, and told us in Spanish to meet him down the street. Since we had just told the cop that we didn’t speak Spanish, I didn’t think that we could follow the Uber driver’s directions. So, back to the airport we went, where we found a cab and proceeded to the apartment.

    The flat is in a 5 story building on the edge of Palermo Hollywood. It is pretty, basic, but clean and has plenty fo room for Arie and I, and our pal Kelly who will join us for the week. After scouting out coffee and snacks for the house, we went to dinner at a restaurant call “I Latina.”

    The restaurant started as a private restaurant in someone’s home, and is now a hot spot on the culinary scene. The restaurant is housed in a lovely old mansion, with a big iron gate outside at which you must buzz to be granted entrance. We arrived at 9 pm, and were one of the first parties to be seated. Over the course of the evening, the restaurant filled, with many people arriving after 10:30 pm. We feasted on 7 courses, with dishes representing countries throughout Central and South America. There was a ceviche with a tomato bisque, sweetbreads, beef cheeks, quail with the best mole sauce I’ve ever eaten, a delicious selection of breads, margarita sorbet, and a chocolate mouse with chocolate nibs, sea salt and a sprinkle of olive oil. I also a fantastic gin and tonic, which was flavored with thyme and pineapple. At some point in the evening, we met Chef Santiago, who was quite charming. As the evening came to an end, they brought out a dessert and asked if we were celebrating an occasion. I had forgotten that I’d said it was our anniversary (I think hitting 25 years gives you a year of celebrating). But, we graciously accepted, I explained to Arie, and we tucked into a twist on a carrot cake. Delicious.

    I am looking forward to eating in this country which is known as a foodies paradise.
    Read more