Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Day 15 - Pisa

    April 27, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Today we were in Port for 12 hours. Troi and I went off ship from about 9 until 2.

    NCL had a 5 euro shuttle bus to get us of the pier to the Terminal. Then we took a 15 Euro bus trip to Pisa, about 45 minutes from Livorno. Then we were given close to two hours at the Tower.

    Adequate signs (we found our way to the tower) directed us the 15 minute easy walk to the entrance.

    We tried that morning to book tickets online but it wasn't possible. So we went directly to the ticket office. We could get Tix to walk up the tower at 11:30, about 45 minutes after our arrival. Ticket included entrance to the Cathedral as well.

    Girl at the desk told us to leave our bags behind the tower.  I took a little walk around the back side of the tower but couldn't see what she was talking about so asked. The cloakroom was actually a good 200m away. We had to have our bags dropped off and be in the line 10 minutes before out time. Many missed the bag information. If you are not there at the designated time you lose your spot and your entrance fee.

    There are something like 284 steps. Open to the public are 257 in two different sections. The last couple of floors is up to where the bells are.  We just happened to be there at noon, when the bells were rung. Quite loud, but it made our trip upstairs a little interesting.

    The climb up was weird, you have no real concept of where you are - on the up or down side of the 'lean' - but you find that the climb is easier or harder. Sometimes you sort of fall into the outside wall than somewhere else you fall onto the inside wall.  
    Read more