Satellite
  • Day 32

    Day 28 - Kerio Valley

    May 10, 2017 in Kenya ⋅ 🌬 22 °C

    Today Tom and Sherry took another day off of service to spend some time with us. Tom had a meeting part on Thursday so he took the morning to go over his part and Troi took it easy too. Sherry and I headed downtown to do a little shopping.

    I wanted to go back to the little handicraft market we first visited on Monday to get a few more souvenirs. Sherry took in some magazines and offered them to the shopkeepers who all agreed to take them.

    Interesting detail; the English congregation in the city actually has a territory that it itself covers - The publishers in English will preach in either Swahili or English, but when the interested ones go to the meetings, they are going to English meetings. In Tom and Sherry's territory, they preach in either Swahili or English and when interested ones go the the meeting they go to Swahili. English is not really a foreign language here.

    In the afternoon we went for a drive to a beautiful viewpoint called the Kerio Valley. It is where the Rift Valley starts that runs down into the Maasai Mara (I believe, I plan on confirming that point). There is a resort there where we had a very nice lunch overlooking the valley, the resort gardens and the black and white Colobus monkeys. After our break we drove down into the valley. Tom estimated that we went from here - Eldoret - at 7000 feet, up to the lookout at 8000 feet, then down into the valley to 3000 feet then we drove back home to 7000 again. I got a bad headache that we contributed to the drastic changes in atitude.

    All the way along we would be waved at by the school children and many would yell out Mzungu! Meaning "white man" (technically "foreigner" but they have different names for people of different ethnicities. We stopped at one group of people along the way that were selling fruit. As soon as we stopped all four windows had ladies at them trying to talk us into buying their produce. We got some bananas (which were very good - sort of like the little mini bananas - but a little bigger and they had a really thick skin and the flesh was quite firm) and a mango (or papaya). Asked if we could take a picture they replied yes, if we paid. Tom gave them all a magazine and they posed with their 'gift', their wares and a smile.
    Read more