Satellite
  • Day 10

    Caldas de Reis to Iria Flavia

    July 5, 2022 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    After taping our feet, we were on the Camino by 6:00 am. It was a cool and breezy 63 degrees. We were never cold in short sleeve shirts and shorts. It only takes 15 minutes of brisk walking to get warmed up. Again, we encountered beautiful vistas, woodland paths, and familiar faces.

    We took photos with the Portugues Scouts. Over lunch, we engaged in a refreshing discussion of Catholic and Protestant perspectives with John and Brenda from Ireland. We visited another Farmacia and got sunscreen, antibiotics, and more Aleve. All in all, a good day of walking!

    Iria Flavia has a remarkable history. Legend has it that this is where St. James’ body arrived in a boat. His bones were discovered before being moved to Santiago. There is evidence that St. James preached here (conversion of Queen Lupe) as well as evidence that the two churches were established in 6th century (but maybe 1st century). Our host gave us a speedy history lesson and sent us off to get a certificate in Padron. Lots of pride in this town of the part they play in the Way of St. James. Plus, the churches were open and we could get stamps for our pilgrim credential. (Most churches so far have been closed)

    Such a satisfying day physically and spiritually. An excellent precursor to arriving in Santiago on Thursday.
    Read more