Satellite
  • Day 12

    Nekkodon

    May 20, 2016 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    I had seen all i wanted to see in Hakodate so it was time to move on. So i got on board the newly built Hokkaido Shinkansen which would take me to Morioka, with a short stop in Aomori. Ronja and Ole, whom i met in Sapporo, told me about this fishmarket in Aomori when you can make your own bowl of donburi, called Nekkodon. You buy a number of coupons which you can trade for all kinds of seafood freshly caught. It's even cut into nice convenient slices so it's ready to eat. It's so incredibly fresh and delicious that i finished the bowl before i thought of taking a picture of it. After having a cup of tea on the seaside it was time to go our own ways. We said our goodbyes and i boarded the Shinkansen again after getting a seat reservation. This was actually a first since there had been no need before. Luckily it's free of charge and the people behind the counter usually understand it when you say "seat reservation". :-)
    The trainride with the Shinkansen was smooth as always and i quickly arrived at Morioka. I got a riceball and OJ for lunch and went to the remains of Morioka castle, which is made into a city park. It was so good to sit in the shade for a bit cause the sun was really beating down. I am really considering buying some shorts even though the added extra weight give me the shivers (pun not intended ;-)) I went to the hotel to check in and get a short nap since i really started to feel that i woke up at 5.30 this morning. Yes yes i know, i am getting old...:-P The nap turned into a 2 hour sleep and i already felt a lot better. I went outside for a short walk through the city center and got me a "Cup of Noodles" to eat in my hotel room. I watched some crazy Japanase gameshow and finally crashed at around 9pm.
    Read more