Satellite
  • Day 31

    Nekiyaki

    June 8, 2016 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    I decided yesterday that no matter what the weather would be, i would go to the bamboo forest. I wanted to see it since the first time i arrived in Japan but something always came up or plans had to change. Luckily the weather was in my favour today and so two relatively short train rides brought me to Arashiyama, just outside Kyoto. I was advised to rent a bike since there are more things to see than just the bamboo forest and so i rented a classic bike with basket for roughly 1000 yen. The weather started to heat up already as i got on my bike to the forest. After finding my way on the map, they have a tendency here to use maps with the north facing any which way direction but up on the map, i got on my way. Actually the forest was not that hard to find since the signs are usually aplenty and clear. And in this case i could just follow the stream of tourists from the station. Which was not a particular good thing as that would probably mean there would be a lot of tourist in the forest as wel, which was the case. The forest itself is really nice and to watch the bamboo sway in the wind is a particulary soothing sound. But the abundance of loud tourists and selfie sticks tempered my enthousiasm. It was just too crowded. Now don't get me wrong, i know i'm as much a tourist as the next person there, but my expectations might have been too high. In the forest was a nice temple complex and even though it had the same problem as the bamboo forest, it was nice to see the landscaped garden and the buildings that made up for the complex.
    I hopped on my bike to explore other parts of Arashiyama but the heat and the sheer steepness of the roads made me choose to go to back to Osaka to spend the last evening of my stay there. On my way in the train to Kyoto i remembered the soymilk donuts i had the first time i was in Nishiki market and i just had to get back there for some more. It was just one easy trainstop from Kyoto station which was on the way to Osaka anyway. Contrary to two years ago i could easily find the place, ordered 10 donuts and sat down on a bench in front of the shop just to enjoy these fresly baked, steaming hot donuts. Delish!!
    Back in the hostel i took a short refreshing shower after all the sweating (the heat and humidity are crazy here) and i took of for a nice last stroll through the Amerikamura and Shinsaibashi shopping street. Doing nothing special, just enjoying one of my favourite places, topping it of with some delicious Nekiyaki at Furutano a famous Okinomiyaki place in a department store at the end of Shinsaibashi street. Back to the sake bar at the hostel again to meet up with Jonny and some other folk for some alcoholic delights, before we set of into the area to see some other bars. I guess my body was done with all the partying and lack of sleep because after just two bars i was too tired to go on. I was so tired i can't even remember getting to bed. I had a great time here again Osaka. Arigatou!
    Read more