Satellite
  • Day 8

    Yellowstone and beyond

    October 1, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 0 °C

    Until thus far we'd been staying at campgrounds with electric hook ups but this is the point where we decided to try boondocking for the night. At 9500 ft elevation in the Shoshone National Forest, switchbacks galore. With a low temp of 30 degrees at night. On the banks of a river. To be fair we had picked out somewhere in the valley, but when we got there the road to the campsites was full of rocks and holes so we decided to press on. The views were amazing and the banks of the river were full of moose tracks, it's a beautiful area. Our used battery died in the middle of the night so we woke up to about 35 degrees inside the trailer. Needless to say we were up and out of there early, eager to get to Yellowstone. We should have just kept on going... Yellowstone was a hot ass mess. Unbeknownst to us, this late in the season all the campgrounds with electricity have closed down. We paid for 3 nights and only stayed two. With a shitty battery, no electricity, and a winter storm coming in we were very cold and anxious to get out of there. The scenery in Yellowstone was impressive as usual however and we were able to see and hear the elk ruttting for the first time from a distance. Also found a new hidden gem, the bathrooms in the Old Faithful Inn👍. Campers can pay $5 to use either a shower or a clawfoot tub for as long as you'd like. It was glorious.

    Mood Music:
    https://youtu.be/VbrfXDFuzu0
    Read more