Satellite
  • Day 71

    The Elephant Valley Project

    January 12, 2017 in Cambodia ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Before we got to the forests of Mondikulri, Tammy had been doing some research into how to see elephants in their natural habitat. We were insistent on not going along the tourist route and end up riding them or swimming with them... Far as I can remember. Elephants are just meant to be Elephants, so that's exactly what we wanted to see.

    The Elephant valley project is NGO that has 300000 hectares, for elephants that they have rescued. Most of the elephants that we met had been treated badly, and over their time at EVP had learn to become elephants. Ruby, Pearl and her friends were all born in captivity.

    Ruby, a female who was born into logging with male elephants. Only knew how to behave like a teenage boy when she arrived, and they nick named her "the bodyguard", as she keeps an eye on her new family.

    You are not allowed to touch or approach them, unless they approach you. Ruby seemed quite curious of me, and she allowed me to stroke her side. A moment I shall never forget.... Quite like an elephant eh?!

    After a morning trekking through the forest, eating brown ants and meeting our new friends we arrived at base camp .A lunch of fresh fish, rice and fruit was served cooked by the local Bunong people. Delicious.

    For the afternoon trek, we found the terrible two. Easy rider and Gayling, they were munching their way through bamboo . We followed them down to the river pools, and sat on the rocks.... It was bath time.

    A day I'll never forget. ❤️
    Read more