Satellite
  • Day 87

    Chasing waterfalls

    January 28, 2017 in Laos ⋅ ⛅ -13 °C

    We were staying in the middle of nowhere, so had arranged for a man with motorbike to show us the sights. Unfortunately he let us down last minute, stranded.

    We managed to flag down a local bus and get dropped off nearish to a waterfall called Tat Fane. Tat Fane is stunning, but because it's so deep in jungle you can only view it from a remote viewing platform, not really the experience we were yearning for. So, after a bite to eat in the average resort restaurant, we walked to the next falls on our itinerary. Tad Genung.

    There are really no words to describe to magnificent beauty of this waterfall. I'll let the photos do the talking. But with tears of happiness on finding paradise, we spontaneously stripped, wrapped ourselves in our sarongs (bikinis are culturally insensitive, underwear even more so!) and plunged ourselves into the freezing falls. The clouds moved, the sun shon through the twin plumes, a RAINBOW appeared. Heaven.

    After our reviving dip, we dried off in the sunshine and made our way back to main road . With a spring in our step, it gave us a boost to give hitchhiking a go! A beautiful Laos family in their truck pulled over, and they help us up into the back, in amongst the fruit, vegetables, and live fish!! We attempted to pay them but they refused and we said good bye with the only language we had in common .... Smiles!

    Easily one of the most moving and liberating days of my life.
    Read more