Satellite
  • Day 1

    (Day 1 cont.) Love at the Mirage

    September 8, 2016 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 31 °C

    The rest didn't involve sleep that, with hindsight was brave! We decided to hit the the strip and it is everything I expected it to be and more. A total assault on the senses in every sense and I loved it. We worked our way to the Mirage to pick up tickets for a show which we had planned to see before we left. The Cirque Du Soleil were performing their own take on classic Beatles hits called 'Love'. The only thing was it didn't start till 9:30pm and with the time difference it was more like 3:30am. We took our time with dinner at 'LVB' and as this blog is called Wings and Shakes, I had my first Buffalo wings since being here. Not bad, only seven, not too much sauce and they were of good size. A decent start. Alice had what they called a 'BBC' (oh how we laughed) which was basically a chicken burger ala buffalo wings and was also well received. We then decided to go to Venice, or is that the Venetian, walking along paths and bridges inspired by the city. The gaudiness of it was not the most American thing I experienced... it was the elevators on all the bridges themselves! Brilliant. Delirium had kicked in by now and if it wasn't for the flashing lights at every eyeline, numerous glasses of coke, and something spectacular on every corner we would have both just collapsed and slept on a bench somewhere. We made it to 9:30pm and the show itself was fantastic. It was also perfect for what was needed; each song played to a totally different set and type of performance involving little story or concentration. Highly recommended and it has ensured that the Beatles will be on in the car tomorrow. By the time we got back to the hotel we had hit the 24hr mark of being awake. A great start to the holiday. Tomorrow we hit the road.

    Song of the Day:
    John Denver - Leaving on a Jet Plane
    Read more