Satellite
  • Day 4

    Day 4 - A Mission and A Prison

    September 11, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    We left the comfortablish 'Comfort Inn' early morning and headed straight for San Francisco. The scenery on Highway 1 from here was not as dramatic as yesterday but there were still beautiful little pockets. There was the cycling stage of an Iron Man taking place on either side of the road which was both impressive for its endurance and annoying when taking photos.

    Luckily our accommodation was just off the highway once we reached San Francisco and we didn't have to go anywhere near the centre. We dropped the car off there and ventured into the area we were staying in, Mission District. There is an abundance of taquerias and local breweries on the main throughfare here, Mission Street. On first reflection the area feels like Dalston in London with a Mexican twist. We headed to the T-Mobile shop as our first essential purchase was a WiFi hotspot so that we were near an internet connection at all times. Phew!

    After a quick rest we headed out again, taking the subway this time. The subway was just how I imagined an American subway to be, just the right side of sinister and depressing. I blame movies from the 70s and 80s when the only reason to feature a subway scene was to involve crime or stress loneliness. The incredibly soulful singing by a blind homeless person by the ticket machines didn't help. We managed to go the wrong way on the subway, classic tourist mistake, but we got to our destination with plenty of time to spare. We were to go on a night tour of Alcatraz!

    The approach to the island involved a mini tour round the island before docking. The surrounding mist added to the atmosphere and I managed to get my first glimpse of the bridges that connect San Franciso. Although the Golden Gate Bridge grabs the headlines, the Bay Bridge is just as imposing due to its length. I can't wait to see more of them whilst we're here. Anyway, back to the prison. There was a large group of us following a tour guide but as we entered the main block we were each given individual audio guides which was a clever way of slowly filtering people through the prison. The various famous episodes that took place were explained in detail by inmates and guards who were present in the prison when it was active. The escape attempt and armed siege that happened here were brought to life by focusing on a particular cell that involved the inmate in question or the event. Towards the end we were led outside which by now was dark and the vista of the city and the bridges all lit up was worth the night tour alone. A powerful image of opportunity and fun within sight. I was glad I was heading back to the mainland.

    What better way to celebrate our freedom and liberty then by eating burger and fries! Alice and I had heard nothing but good things about 'In and Out Burger'. It's a fast food burger, it was cheap and it was OK. Alice saw that people were having the 'Animal Fries' which I think is the main attraction. She'll try and get that before we leave California. With bellies full it was time for bed.

    Song of the Day:
    Scott McKenzie - If You're Going To San Francisco
    Read more