Satellite
  • Day 29

    Day 29 - Rock & Bowl

    October 6, 2016 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 20 °C

    It was time for two pillars of Twentieth Century American culture - rock and roll and bowling.

    We stayed in Cleveland for primarily one attraction, and that is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I didn't know much about the place before visiting and it is an interesting museum of rock memorabilia. The displays are grouped by cities and genres and in some cases bands or artists have their own displays. The Beatles section is of particular note and included items such as Ringo's drumkit used from the mid-1960s onwards for albums and the last live shows and curiosities such as John Lennon's passport. It is well worth a visit and is bound to have something relating to an artist or band that you like.

    We then got settled in our hotel which was downtown and then had a think about what to do in the evening. We had thought about bowling a few days ago and just down the road from the hotel was a bowling alley. We weren't sure if it would be busy but luckily there was a baseball game in Cleveland with the Cleveland Indians taking on the Boston Red Sox. It seemed like a big deal as there were lots of fans talking about this post-season game and I'm guessing there was a lot riding on it. Most of the bowling alleys themselves were available and Alice and I snapped up an hour on one of them. We got our beers and food from the lane service and the baseball was also up on the big screen giving the experience that added 'americana' from a usual visit to the local bowling alley at home. Alice started in unforgiving form and blew me away in the first game. By the second, I had regained some composure and as my game had improved Alice's waned. We didn't have enough time to finish the third and so it ended in a fair draw. We then headed to the bar where the excitable home crowd cheered on the Indians. In one of the innings the home team managed three homeruns which were warmly received in the bar as people clapped and cheered raucously. It was a fun atmosphere in which to see the night out.

    Song of the Day:
    Ian Hunter - Cleveland Rocks
    Read more