Satellite
  • Day 67

    Day 67 - Come And Take It!

    November 13, 2016 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 16 °C

    Where we were staying in San Antonio was close enough to take a bus into downtown. We are staying in an Airbnb which is a tailor made flat above a double garage. It has everything we could need and is nice and cozy.

    On arrival in downtown we had a quick look in the Riverwalk Mall and then had Italian for lunch. We both had a pizza that set us up for the rest of the day. We sat outside during lunch and had a pleasant view of the riverwalk whilst the strong Texan sun reflected off the river's surface. The river dominates the city and has had a great deal of work on either bank to accommodate shops, restaurants and shaded seating areas. There is even a theatre, with the stage on one side of the river and the tiered seating area on the other. A really cool idea and it would be great to see a small production here. We went for a brief walk along the river and both Alice and I thought it had been constructed and maintained in good taste with plenty of information boards to remind the stroller of the area's rich history.

    Speaking of which, our first activity of the day was to visit the Alamo. It was at this one time Spanish Mission that a thirteen day siege took place during the Texas Revolution. 'Come and take it!' was a slogan used on flags raised during the siege and we walked around the mission and the adjoining museum to find out more. Alice and I were glad to have seen this important site for Texans and learn about the role of Spain in the development of modern North America.

    The sun was not letting up and so we continued our riverwalk under the shaded trees. It was still early and we decided on going to the cinema. I had wanted to see Dr. Strange and the timing for a 3D IMAX showing was perfect. Neither of us are big fans of 3D, however, the psychedelic imagery of this movie actually gives 3D a reason to exist. One moment the characters are talking and the next they are in a parallel world where buildings are bending over and the characters are running upside down. We both enjoyed the movie and we were given posters due to it being an IMAX movie. More goodies for the memento bag!

    It was dark by the time we left the cinema and it was time for a spin on our earlier riverwalk, a riverwalk in the dark! We had noticed lights around trees earlier and had hoped they were lit for a romantic evening stroll. Unfortunately they weren't, but our stroll was romantic none the less. After a while we realised we still weren't really hungry from all the popcorn and sweets we ate at the movies and so we grabbed quick light meals and headed home.

    Song of the Day:
    Johnny Cash - The Road to the Alamo
    Read more