Satellite
  • Day 71

    Day 71 - Texan Steaks... via Oz!

    November 17, 2016 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 21 °C

    A big drive today to Lubbock in Texas, six and a half hours away. We had also passed the 9 000 mile mark too.

    The drive was fine and the empty roads in the heart of Texas gradually led to dry and dusty surroundings, reminding me of that first drive out of Las Vegas all that time ago. We still have a few weeks of the South West to explore further, with much to see and learn, however, at the same time, the loop is slowly being completed.

    We were just staying the one night in Lubbock as it was a stop off point on the way to New Mexico. We were hungry and keen to ensure our last meal in Texas was... Texan. We had already eaten a BBQ and yesterday a Tex-Mex. Today it was time for a steak. The nearest steak house to us was a chain called Outback. An Australian themed restaurant based on its quality steaks in the state known for its steaks! We felt it had to be good to have a location here. We both ordered the filet mignon and they were excellent. Browsing the menu I noticed that the chain was established in 1988. I guessed that it must have something to do with the movie Crocodile Dundee. When we got back to our motel, I did a bit of googling and it turned out the three founders rode the wave of the second most popular movie of 1986 in America. What made us laugh was that none of them have actually been to Australia and the signature dish called 'bloomin' onion' (a deep fried onion cut so that it could be plucked) is not Australian and was invented by one of the founders in New Orleans. To cap it off, there are seven locations... in Australia. Bloomin' marvellous! We relaxed for the rest of the evening at the motel before another big drive tomorrow.

    Song of the Day:
    Weezer - Buddy Holly (Buddy Holly was from Lubbock)
    Read more