Satellite
  • Day 2

    Arrival in Edinburgh

    August 9, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    It was a long day. The connection and Customs at Heathrow was easy. Unfortunately, I trieded my knee on the flights to Edinburgh, so my first day out was painful. The Tauck rep who picked us up from the airport realized from our day bags that at least one of us was interested in golf. He told (tortured) me about all the many golf courses some very close to the airport. We even saw a golf ball on the highway!

    After John and I met with the Tauck rep we headed out to try to "encash" our 33 year old travellers cheques. Total failure. We tried 2 places (Travelex & Kanoo) with no success. We will have to send them in to get our money. Oh, well.

    When we got back from that long, but unsuccessful walk our room was ready. Then it was time to meet the group and head for Stirling Castle. We received a tiny booklet with the names of everyone on the tour. That is a very nice perk, especially for someone who has a hard time remembering names.

    Our guide to Stirling Castle was very good, knowlegeable and funny.

    After the tour we filled out personal paperwork, selected our play and restuarant for our night out in London. Then there was just time for a quick shower and then down to the Welcome Reception and dinner. After a tiny bit of Administrivia, a gentleman played the bagpipes for as and answered questions. Later at dinner he recited Address to Haggis. The poem and the demo that went with it turned me off to Haggis, but it was my appetizer and was pretty good.

    It was a long day for us and after icing my knee I headed for bed.
    Read more