Satellite
  • Day 4

    Second Day of Touring

    March 2, 2018 in Israel ⋅ 🌙 52 °F

    The day did not have an auspicious start. We were late leaving for the boat that would sail around the Sea of Galilee because one person on our bus got on another bus by mistake. We were given geography information which helped us get our bearings with respect to the towns that border on or near the Sea of Galilee. Then we had devotions and some singing. It was a wonderful way to start the day. Marian, Janie, Pat D. and dpurchase small pendants.

    From there we traveled to the Mount of Beatitudes. It was a beautiful place. There is a church on the site and an extensive garden and grounds. It was a beautiful place for contemplation. I walked and took pictures by myself. The travel days before the actual tour are hectic and tiring. This place gave me the opportunity to rest and the adapbreath- a chance to slow down and enjoy just "being". It wasn't "real" Contemplative" Prayer, but it gave my soul a time to breath; a time to rest.

    The third place we traveled to was Magdala. The town of Magdala was invaded by the Romansin 67AD and buried. It was discovered in 2009. Our guide in Magdala was an Irish nun. She had a way of describing life during Jesus' time that enlarged my understanding of the incidents described in Scripture. Along with the archaeological site there is a building called "Duc in Atium" which means "Put out into the Deep". The building includes four small chapels with beautiful paintings of some of the encounters Jesus had during His ministry in Galilee. The one that I found most moving was a painting depicting the hemorrhaging woman who touches the hem of Jesus' clothing. The picture shows the feet of two people and a woman's hand touching the hem of one of those feet. I found to be powerful painting.

    After visiting Magdala we went to a restuarantfor lunch. Most of us had talapia. lt was very good, but it was served whole. It was a challenge for me and others to eat the fish with it's head on and it's eye looking at you. The fish was accompanied by a cabbage salad, the Israelieversion of a bloomin' onion and fries. For dessert we had dates.

    After lunch, we traveled toTabgha. It is situated on the north-western shore of the Sea of Galilee in Israel. It is traditionally accepted as the place of the miracle of the multiplication of the loaves and fishes and the feeding of the 5000. From there we traveled to Caperhaum and then to the Chapel of the Primacy of St. Peter. Our last stop was the Yardenit Baptimal Site. Four people on our bus remembered their baptism with an immersion in the Jordan River. Marian, Janie, Pat D. and I used the time to do some window shopping in the gift shop.

    I have packed up. Tomorrow after touring we will drive to Jerusalem. Our luggage needs to be outside our door by 6: 50 am. Breakfast is at 6:30am (as usual). And we head to Qumran, our first step at 8am. Heading to bed.
    Read more