Satellite
  • Day 9

    Day 8 - Assisi

    August 18, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 81 °F

    ‍‍‍Breakfast at this hotel was self service.  Without eggs to order, there were fewer choices.  But they had yogurt, honey and nuts so I was fine.  And being able to get coffee without waiting was was an added benefit.  There was a bowl of brown eggs that I had assumed were hard boiled eggs, but when I read the sign next to the eggs, I realized that the eggs were raw and you had to use the appliance near the eggs that was evidently an egg cooker.  I was so glad I read the sign before I cracked the egg. 

    We left the hotel at 9 am and headed for Assisi.  On the ride to Assisi we learned a lot about Francis of Assisi.  We meet or guides when we got of the bus.  Our first stop was the Basilica of St. Francis. The Basilica is actually a cathedral and a tomb for St. Francis and his four friends who became monks with St. Francis.  The tomb also includes a simple church.  The art work was beautiful.  Once we finished touring the Basilica, we returned to the bus Android drive a short distance to Historic Assisi.  We drive because the walk from the Basilica to Assisi was extremely steep.  After a short tour we had free time.  Our first order of business was to get some lunch.  Porcuetta (sliced cooked ham) was recommended.  John and I each ordered a panini with flat bread.  The sandwiches were so large we could have easily done with a single sandwich.  In fact, I only ended up eating about 2/3 of mine.  After that we toured a small archaeological museum.  It was very interesting.  It contains the ruins below the temple that was turned into a church.  After touring the museum, John got a soda and finished his porcuetta panini and I got a scoop of pastachio and a scoop of strudel gelato. Then it was time to return to the hotel.

    Six of us had chosen an optional tour of Perugia.  So, after a quick break we returned to the bus and headed for Perugia.  The town was a mixture of the original Perugian buildings of the Middle Ages most of which now house commercial businesses and shopes.  Although the architecture was different it reminded me of Bath, England.  At the end of the tour, we opted to return to the bus because it was beginning to look like rain.

    When we returned, I showered and changed and headed to the optional wine tasting.  John opted for a short nap.  We were given tips on how to evaluate wines and some tips on food and wine pairing.  Then we a all went to the dining room for dinner.  John was waiting for us there.  Tonight I chose the fettuccini and truffle pasta, veal rump with potatoes and dessert with pastachio angel food cake and white chocolate.

    After dinner we walked around the grounds again.  The two teens from Canada showed us address of the hotel grounds we had missed the night before including a small crypt. 

    Then we returned to our rooms to pack up and head to bed.
    Read more