Satellite
  • Day 32

    All the feelings

    March 30, 2016 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    It's officially been 1 month since I've been here (as of yesterday), and today exactly a month until I go back. Being halfway through is bringing lots of feelings. The first month has flown by it seems! I'm obviously excited to go home and see everyone I've been missing so badly; but I'm also not ready to go yet. I'm scared I won't get to do everything I wanted to do while I'm here. From now on I'm going to try to get everything done for the week on fridays, that way Saturdays and Sundays I can explore and adventure. We'll see how that goes though... I get pretty lazy on fridays and generally just want to watch Netflix. BUT I'm going to be diligent and do my work so I can see things and not regret the time I spent here.
    Other general feelings: I'm feeling a lot more comfortable getting places by myself. The other day I missed the teacher van by 15 seconds so I had to take public transportation, and I made it to school! And I'm starting to take different ways to places and home to see which is the fastest. I switched up my walk home to make it faster. Last week I had to go to the store and I knew I had time to get lost so I took a way I had never taken by myself and figured it out, I didn't even get lost! Little triumphs like that are always fun. I'm also getting more comfortable with the language. Spending those 3 days at Prado with people who don't speak English helped a lot! And I went to both spanish classes this week, I haven't been since my first week cuz I forgot and had parent meetings the other weeks. So that will continue improving. Also getting more comfortable at school. I've been teaching 5th and 6th social studies for a couple weeks now and next week will start teaching 5th LA as well, taking on Rachel's full load of classes. Outside of teaching I'm getting more comfortable with the teachers as well. I feel like I'm generally acclimated now. Still obviously learning a lot of the culture but feel generally less overwhelmed with everything. It's a pretty good feeling!

    Random fact: on every radio station at 6 am and 6pm they play the Colombian national anthem. The radio is on right outside my room so I just got to listen to it. Pretty cool actually but I would probably get sick of it fast.

    Oh and I forgot to say, I think I'm falling in love with the family I live with. They are just so cute and loving and I'm so grateful they're letting me be a part of it for the time I'm here.
    Read more