Satellite
  • Day 2

    Day 2 - Part 2

    July 18, 2018 in England ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    After the lovely shower we headed to Tewitfield Marina to meet everyone and supposedly be on our way by 9 - as if! I made the mistake of taking in the Tassimo so at 10.50 we finally headed out the door. The best laid plan was to meet at Wray Castle a National Trust on the banks of Windermere. The plan being I drive Mum and Dad straight there and Paul, Jacquie and the girls catch the pleasure cruise across from Bowness. The website said the car park is small and often is full by 11 so I was pretty sceptical that our plan would work, but was proved wrong as the car park was small but relatively empty when we arrived about 11.45. Dad had missed his elevensies, so first stop was the cafe. I think it’s relatively new as was quite sparse. I just had a coffee as the scones weren’t ready, not impressed as the menu advertised chocolate scones! Found a fabulous spot in the shade with stunning views of the hills and glimpses of Windermere. As the plan was to have dinner at the castle, that’s when it all started going pear shaped. Paul phone and couldn’t get a cruise for an hour, so when I said no food apart from sandwiches he suggested we meet in Ambleside, with it’s 80 odd eateries......not touristy at all!! 😁 so Mum & Dad had a quick wander inside the Castle, a gothic revival with turrets, towers and informal grounds, built by a Liverpudlian industrialist who’d made two fortunes, lost the first and decided to make his mark with the second by building a castle. (Thanks Dad for the lesson) 😁, while our 10 paws wandered around the grounds.
    Bit of a hooha, and a u turn in Ambleside but eventually parked and went into the nearest eatery, despite trawling through trip advisor looking for somewhere fo 20 minutes! The Wateredge Inn only served food until 2.30 and we arrived at 2.20 so bit of a rush to order, but the service was quick food was very nice, it was dog friendly and the woofs got plenty of free biscuits and attention. Always makes for a good review in my book!
    Read more