Satellite
  • Day 9

    Shopping was no go

    November 17, 2018 in Indonesia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    I don’t know what happened this morning but we were both awake at 6.15am then fell back asleep until just after 8am #balitime. Breakfast was first on the agenda and I went back to dumplings and salad, finishing with fruit and mango yoghurt. I had half a chocolate croissant which was tiny but I just wanted to taste it. They have really nice, rich chocolate sauce.

    We sunscreened up back at the room to go for a walk and decided to walk to the Discovery Shopping Mall, via the main drag to drop off laundry. It was actually a good walk with a fair bit of shade along the way on the beach road then lots of shade from trees once we hit the boardwalk path. There were plenty of bars with pools along the boardwalk which looked very inviting but we weren’t dressed for swimming.

    We finally made it to the shopping centre which wasn’t anything like I expected. I guess I was expecting market-style shops as this is what we’d seen in Vietnam but it was a proper shopping centre which didn’t interest me. We didn’t stay too long and instead of leaving on the beach side we went out to the street and stopped at a couple of bars, including an Aussie bar, for a few Bintangs.

    It was lunchtime by the time we moved on so we found our way to the beach again and stopped at a beach shack area with food places to get some lunch. I had Nasi Goreng with sate but it wasn’t as good as yesterday’s. TAB had chicken curry and when it was delivered he realised that he’d had that the other night, but he said it was good anyway.

    A lady selling sarongs came over and I bought a couple for the girls and then we went through a market which was right next to us. It’s hard work bartering but as the shopping centre didn’t deliver, it looks like that’s what I’m going to have to do to take home a few things for the kids. We ended up getting some Bintang hats and singlets for Dylan and Jordy but it was hard work and thank goodness I had TAB with me to works his magic.

    When we got back we to the hotel it was a quick change into bathers then straight to the pool. TAB started saying he wasn’t feeling well, just when I was feeling like getting into a few cocktails. I had my last JB can as I wanted to drink it instead of packing it to take back home with me tomorrow. I wish I’d had a few more left after that but we had a pina colada each then TAB hit the banana lounge for some downtime while I went for a second.

    He came back in to try again and got through two cocktails as it was happy hour, but he wasn’t his normal self. We called it quits and went to TO THR Room to shower and head out for some dinner. Summer Queen was where we’d stopped for Coronas last night so that was where we’d planned to eat but weren’t ready to eat straight away.

    I took the Bintang Radler orange that I’d bought the other night as you can drink while walking the streets if you like. I tried to do some shopping but nobody would come to the party with the prices I wanted to pay for dream catchers. But I bought two bikinis from a shop with fixed prices. They were $25 each which I could pay at home at Big W or somewhere but I liked these so figured they were worth it. I also got a dress for Ti and a skirt for me so had some success.

    When we got to Summer Queen the guy remembered us from yesterday and was very appreciative of us coming back. I ordered slow cooked pork ribs and TAB had beef rendang. We also got some vegies and fried rice. The food was absolutely beautiful, my ribs were so tender and tasty with lots of spice. But as per previous nights, once we ate we felt like we were ready for bed.

    There were no ,ore beers to be had and no more staying out, all we could manage was the walk home to flop onto the bed and watch Netflix. Such as shame as being our last night I hoped we could have done something a bit more but we just didn’t have it in us.
    Read more