Satellite
  • Day 1,409

    USA Tour - Los Angeles - California

    January 20, 2019 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    I was up and out early today as I made it my challenge to walk up and around the Hollywood sign. Doesn’t sound too bad right? Well I am staying 6 miles away from the park it’s on. Its a further 3.5. Mile uphill hike (if you know where you’re going)

    Anyways the weather is glorious so I get my pasty white legs out and start walking. I decided to abandon using a map and basically just work off landmarks. I knew the sign was north of me so I just headed in that direction which turned out to be the best thing I could do as I accidentally stumbled upon the Scientology Church. Really weird place, people in suits all around and they seemed to be watching me as I had my phone out taking photos... I quickly put my phone away. Was going to ask if Tom Cruise was home but I thought best of it.

    I keep walking north and I end up walking on sunset boulevard AND Hollywood Boulevard, purely by accident which was kinda cool, although I wasn’t on the ‘famous parts of the road, I do however end up in some pretty impressive housing estate. Seriously impressive.

    I eventually reach the south east entrance to Griffith park, the sign is kinda north west from me, and there’s no signs for the sign on any of the trails, so if you don’t know where you’re going you’ll be walking around forever. I pick a trail at random and just go for it.

    I’m seriously unfit. Although I didn’t expect it to be so steep or as difficult as it’s a pretty famous sign. There is a road you can take but where’s the fun in that?

    I got some pretty amazing views of Burbank, Hollywood, Pasadena and the surrounding areas. I’ve no idea how many wrong turns I took but they where all worth it. At one point I was considering asking for directions but my pride would be too hurt.

    Lomb story short - I finally made it. I probably picked the most difficult route possible but I got there eventually and the views are stunning. No words. Just do this if you’re ever in LA.

    After the debacle of getting to the top I decided to follow the crowd on the way down, which is basically a road which leads into the hills where it’s basically just mansions. I imagine a few celebrities and such live there. After following the road for what seemed like an age I finally made it out of the hills and I was basically on Hollywood Boulevard. I knew my way back from here, just walk through little Armenia and Thai town, turn right past the Scientology church and that’s it.

    I get back to my dorm and get into bed and drift off into a sleep, I was knackered. I walked around 20 miles today up hills and rough terrain. I wake up have a quick shower and go for a beer.

    Today has been a good day as far as days go
    Read more