Satellite
  • Day 1,431

    Asia Tour - Mae Hong Son Loop

    February 11, 2019 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    This is it. This is the day. As a total novice at riding bikes I’m about to undertake a 900km journey through forests, national parks and mountain passes. I woke up super excited, but the second I sat on the bike I think the realisation of the journey I was about to take hit me. Nerves set in big time. I had to take a few minutes to calm myself down before I set off.

    The first part of the journey was fine, I made my way to Doi Inthanon park to see the Pagodas built in honour of the king and queen of Thailand which are built on the highest mountain in northern Thailand. My shitty GPS took me an awful way however, it took me through these horrible pitted dirt tracks and then eventually onto the main Road. How i didn’t fall off the bike Ive no idea. The drive up to the mountain was cool, some awesome views and I stopped off at a waterfall on my way up which was cool.

    The Pagodas where brilliant, there no other way to describe it. The architecture, the gardens, the views. Unbelievable, I haven’t seen anything like it anywhere in my travels. I spent a good 40 minutes just looking over into the mountains. I got some great photos.

    On my way back down the mountain I stopped off at another waterfall which was much better than the first, took a few photos and made my way out of the park. The ridee from the top to the bottom is about 40 minutes so it’s quite a journey. I fuelled up and headed towards to Mae Sariang. The road was brilliant, however my phone bounced out of its cradle on this badly pitted pot holed road, lucky it didn’t break and lucky it was quiet as I slammed on my breaks to go get my phone.

    I made it to Mae Sariang about 18:30, I left Chiang Mai at 9:30 so it was a long day of travelling. I checked into my hotel for the night, had a quick shower, some food and the passed out like a baby.

    Who knew being stressed and concentrating for 9 hours would make you tired?

    .
    Read more