Satellite
  • Day 3

    Yosemite in a day Mammoth Lakes

    June 17, 2018 in the United States ⋅ 🌙 8 °C

    On the road at 7.00am to Madera, Oakhurst and into Yosemite. The drive out through what appeared to be beef country with rolling hills.
    After Oakhurst we rapidly climbed into the mountains. Narrow roads Sequoia and pine forests.

    Our first stop was Glacier point at around 7000 feet.
    Absolutely brilliant geography. This are is an extinct glacier and the remaking granite features dominate the landscape. Features such as Half Dome, El Capitain, Tunnelview, Bridalvale Falls and the list goes on.

    This is a very popular hiking area and there where plenty of them out today.

    The road wound back down to Yosemite Village where we saw a different perspective of the features above. The village had a great information centre with amazing geological displays.

    With our destination being Mammoth lakes we carried on across Tioga Pass and again the scenery was mind blowing.

    We stopped at Tenaya Lake where temptation got to me and I had my highest altitude swim 8130 feet. Air temp 10 degrees, water temp bloody freezing.

    Arrived at Mammoth at 5.30 ready for a shower and dinner.

    A really great day and Yosemite will be done again one day.
    Read more