Satellite
  • Day 6

    Totally Awesome, Bryce Canyon,

    June 20, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Once again, I am at a loss for words to describe the sites that we have seen today. No superlatives, no camera lens can truly capture the unbelievable grandeur of these natural wonders.
    Bryce Canyon lies to the east of the Grand Canyon, and Zion National Park, and each one of these has a special look and geology that is distinctly different from the other. Bryce is no exception.
    Today started with us driving through Zion so we got to look at it from another angle. We then headed further East to Red Canyon and then to Bryce. Once again, we took advantage of the free shuttle from the visitor’s information centre.
    Our first stop was Inspiration point, the view was breathtaking as we looked at the many shapes of the formations created by eons of erosion. The colours are outstanding and against the perfect blue sky we could not have asked for better. Whilst there are fenced viewing platforms the various trails lead along the top of the ridge with nothing to catch you if you fall. Getting close to the edge is not for the faint hearted. In a land of litigation, we were amazed at how open the cliff faces were, you certainly need to be sure footed and have control of your kids.
    We walked from Inspiration Point to Sunset point and the vista change moment by moment. At the sunset point viewing area, we took the Navajo trail a steep winding well defined foot track in amongst the formations. What walked down the hill must come back up and muscles have been severely challenged on that walk back. I completed the Navajo loop, whilst Noela, Paola, and Carl took a longer route.
    There will be some aches and pains tomorrow.
    Lunch followed at the general store, and we then got back on the road via Antimony and Otter Creek along a road less travelled. A few old mines used for mining the precious metal Antimony dotted the area, and Otter Creek is a popular trout fishing location. Tthe road to, through and after these towns was better that our pacific or New England highways and yet it has almost no traffic. The roads here are brilliant.
    We have stopped in Salina Utah overnight before a big transit day getting up to Wyoming. We do not know what we will see tomorrow, but that is half the challenge.
    Walmart is certainly on the agenda for a camera as she killed hers today.
    Till tomorrow.
    Read more