Satellite
  • Day 24

    Cusco & Machu Picchu.

    June 9, 2019 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 8 °C

    We hopped back aboard the Bolivia Hop bus from Copacabana and chuffed off onto Peru. A very eventful bus trip that incorporated a crash, some Dr Kappa emergency care and some food poisoning dilemmas we reached Cusco. Here we met our new group for the next few days where we would embark on our hike in the Peruvian mountains. The first few days before the hike were spent with most of our team down with food poisoning but still somehow soldiering on. Luckily enough we were all feeling marginally better the first day of the hike. We began by trekking a small way up hill to our first camp site for the night. It was chilly but we were thankful for some very good sleeping bags.
    Day two we were aroused early (5am) and we marched directly upwards for about 6 hours. High altitude, post food poisoning and high inclines made the hike upwards difficult but with the anticipation of the top we carried on. We reached the summit of our hike at about 12:30pm. At 4,800m above sea level the view was amazing. The snow capped mountains and lagoons made it well worth the effort! After this we all knew it was all downhill from there! The views on the way down were amazing as well. We strolled along a clear stream surrounded by lush flora. The Brits of our group complained a lot and were fed up with our ‘Australian positivity.’ After many laughs and hoots we made it to our campsite and collapsed in a tired heap in our tents. 19km, 28,000 steps, 155 floors climbed combined with altitude made this the hardest day of the trek but what an effort.
    Our last day of the trek was a breeze. We woke up at a dreamy 7am and continued our descent through some Inca ruins and back along the stream.
    We hopped on the bus at about 12 and continued on to our lunch spot where we ate like kings for our final meal as a big group of 15.
    On we bussed to Ollyantambo and onto a train to take us to Aguas Calientes. The gateway to the mighty Machu Picchu (old mountain).
    Machu Picchu today (Saturday). I learnt two things: the Incans were incredibly intelligent and strong, and humans are not that great now days.
    An awesome sight to see and amazing views all around! Sadly, so many tourists!! After a great last day with our group exploring these ruins it’s time to head back to Cusco for the night.
    It was great to meet everyone on our tour, a good bunch of people! George & Emily from the UK were an especially fun time!
    Read more