Satellite
  • Marrakech Medina

    May 4, 2019 in Morocco ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    An enforced early start today with the 5am call to prayer blaring out of the mosques, it was a lot louder and longer than we expected, and really unlike anything we've heard before. We did manage a couple of hours more sleep once it was over.
    Our second start to the day was breakfast in the hostel, fresh bread, pancake things, jam and honey, really nice.
    We headed out to Bahia Palace, not far from where we're staying. It was built to represent the best of Morrocan design and it is brilliant, funnily enough it's name means brilliant too. It has beautiful courtyards and gardens and loads of Vera's favourite tiles.
    Next we had a look around Place des Ferblantiers and then stopped for some lunch, babaganoush, freash orange juice and mint tea.
    After a bit of a siesta we went to the national carpet museum Dar Si Said, much more interesting than expected and the building was maybe even more brilliant than the brilliant Palace itself, with the added bonus of being pretty much empty.
    Finally we went to the main market square, Djemaa el-Fna and Koutoubia mosque. Non Muslims can't go in the mosque but the snake charmers, monkeys and millions of people all rushing around and making a lot of noise were entertainment enough.
    Read more