Satellite
  • Essaouira - Khadija's home

    May 8, 2019 in Morocco ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    We decided to do a special activity which we haven't done before on our travels; a cooking class. We used airbnb, where you can book experiences with local people as well as accomodation, and arranged to go to Khadija's house for a tagine lesson. It was a surreal experence to be in someone's home who doesn't really speak English but extremily nice and enthusiastic. She talked us through how to make a chicken tagine and while it was cooking we were watching her husband's sister wedding video (non edited version) in their traditionally decorated living room/dining room. Her husband came home a bit later who spoke better English, he is a primary school teacher in a Berber village closeby. Some days he teaches in the morning other days in the afternoon as these children also need to have time to help around the house. He also told us that he studied sociology and did his thesis on the main square in Marrakesh and interviewed people there every day for 3 months.
    After a couple of hours cooking it was finally time to try the tagine, it was amazing and we can't wait to see if we can repeat it at home.
    On the way home we bought our bus tickets for the next day to Tagazout and walked home by the beach.
    Read more