Satellite
  • Kiev - Майдан Незалежності

    July 19, 2019 in Ukraine ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    We arrived in Kiev by plane from Riga. Our hostel was right next to Майдан Незалежності, Independence Square, a noisy, busy meeting place full of fountains, bars and street performers.
    The Square has also always been a rallying point for protests and demonstrations and was the central point of the 'revolution' in 2014. In fact, while wandering around in the evening, we suddenly noticed a huge group of people with red balloons gathering around a big monunent at the end of the square. Despite being handed a balloon and invited to join in, we didn't manage to find out much about what was going on except that it was something to do with the president.
    We ventured a little further from Independence Square to St. Michael's Golden Domed Monastery and St. Sophia's Cathedral and had a good look around at lots of huge Russian style church buildings. Also in that area we did a brilliant Matrix themed escape room, which was the first time we've attempted one just the two of us. We weren't quite at the top of our escaping skills but really enjoyed it and only finished a couple of minutes late.
    Read more