Satellite
  • Day 14

    Nara Park

    September 14, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Nara Park is an Unesco world heritage site an hour away from Kyoto, it's famous for its hundreds and hundreds of wild deer living a good life being constantly fed by tourists. We tried some soft icecream (pretty much the same as at home) and melonpan bread which comes with all kinds of different flavours, for us it was caramel.
    On the way home we stopped at a local snack pub for some beer, plum wine (super sweet and nice, more like a liquor), cabbage with some peppery sauce on, and gyoza which is the little dumplings (these were a gift from one of the locals :) )
    At one point we really have to talk about the tolilets in Japan, so here it is:
    - Lucikly they are everywhere, we never stuggled to find one when in need.
    - Some are "normal" called "western style", some are "hole in the floor" called "Japanese" style - this is indicated on the door so you can choose which one you prefer.
    - Many times you can see a manual of how to use the western style toilet (to sum it up: sit down, then throw the paper in the toilet and flush it)
    - Some of these have a sink on top of the cistern, so we use the same water for washing hands and then flushing the toilet.
    - The western style ones are always super fancy (even in the shopping malls) you can find a little keypad on the wall or on the armrest with different buttons (most we don't understand). The most basics seem to be: music and bum wash with different strength water flow.
    - The bidet function is tickly and warm :)
    Read more