Satellite
  • Day 31

    Sun Moon Lake

    October 1, 2019 in Taiwan ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    A special trip to celebrate Vera's birthday! Jupii :)
    We took a bus for a couple of hours into the mountains in the middle of Taiwan to Sun Moon Lake. After a slight hiccup (where we had to get off the bus early for a toilet break and then wait around at a university in the middle of nowhere for an hour until the next bus arrived) we made it to Shuishe. It is a small town by the lake which seems to be almost entirely made up of restaurants and bike rental shops. We got ourselves some wheels and set off on the cycleway which follows around the edge of the lake.
    There are amazing views all along the route and some sections where the path becomes a kind of wooden boardwalk on stilts so you are cycling over the water.
    We stopped off at the giant concrete spaceship building which was the Visitor Centre and had a great lunch with chicken noodle soup, sausage, iced tea and tea jelly.
    We also visited an amazing temple which was decorated with giant dragons, a phoenix, and loads of tiny figures and details. It was easily the most over-the-top decorations we've seen, in a good way!
    We returned to Taichung in the evening and had some great fried rice and black pepper noodles with a giant ice cream dessert to finish off the birthday celebrations.
    Read more