Satellite
  • Day 53

    Yogjakarta

    October 23, 2019 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 33 °C

    After a short plane journey we arrived to Yogjakarta, the culture capital of Indonesia on Central Java. We spent a couple of amazing and interesting days there, far away from mass tourism. In fact on a bus a secret video was taken of us and some other locals also asked us for photos with them. Yogja or Djogja is a student town which keeps the prices low but full of authentic experiences and food. People are lovely and friendly, children and adults said hello to us everywhere we went. They are also not pushy when it comes to taxi drivers and selling things, and every conversation is with a smile. We got into talking to a musician who plays at the Royal Sultan Palace, called Keraton. He told us all about his job, showed us one of the princess palaces where his instruments were and taught Tom how to play it. He suggested to check out a batik gallery/workshop closeby so we got in a "helicopter" as they call it which is a reverse tuk tuk, the motorbike or pushbike is at the back.
    Batik seemes to be a really big deal here, they might even have invented it?! The process can take for days and involves lots of planning ahead and layers of wax. There we bought our first art masterpiece for our future living room, how adult! Spent the rest of the evening at the main road which turns into a food and clothes market in the evening.
    Read more