Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Luang Prabang Day 3

    September 12, 2017 in Laos ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    So today we were up early 4.45 am to head out to the street to give food to the monks, a daily occurrence, they collect food from tourists & locals as they do not cook or have food in the temples - this is the only food they get for the day & are not allowed to eat past 12.00, quite an honour to be part of this tradition. After breakfast, we dropped our laundry off to be done for USD1.50 per kg! So great, cheap & convenient.
    We then met our local guide & a lovely English couple for our trip up the Mekong river in a long boat to the Ban Pak Ou caves ... a lovely peaceful 2hr each way boat ride, two caves to explore (full of Buddhas), more steps to climb to see the upper cave, then across the river to a local village for lunch & then a stop in at another local Whiskey making village on the way back. Such a hot day today, bright sunshine & the forecast said 35 deg that feels like 45deg .... this warranted a nana nap in the afternoon - laundry pick up, washed, dried & folded. Then out for a cocktail (Mango Mojito) & a taste of the local river weed @ the Indigo Cafe terrace bar. Then dinner at a local restaurant, of which there are plenty to choose from & so cheap $65,000 Kip = $NZ10 for main & beer!
    Read more