Satellite
  • Day 23

    The Eiffel Tower

    April 17, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 10 °C

    The Eiffel Tower has to be the most iconic thing to visit in Paris and one of the things I prebooked to make sure I got a timed entry rather than waiting in queues. When I got there I was grateful for this forethought a couple of months ago as the lines to enter normally stretched and snaked for what seemed like miles.Timed entry even had a special security line and that was a first!

    The ride up in the elevators was fascinating, particularly when you consider the shear number of people and times they make the trip up and down. The free app you can download for audio had the actual numbers and made the visit much more ubeteresting. We stopped at the 2nd floor area and switched to the elevators that take you to the very top. The view from there was truly amazing and there was no time pressure so you could work your way around all the sides admiring the view.

    I then got the elevators back down to the 2nd floor area and took some more shots of the view. Actually almost better for photos as the top level is so high. Again there is no pressure to rush so I relaxed and did a little people watching as well. I must say I do not mind waiting for people to take photos but the length of time it takes for some is ridiculous. Not a quick shot but a performance while each shot is checked and either rejected or another pose chosen.

    I stopped briefly at the 1st floor to admire the restaurants and step on the glass floor there. It was then a short walk down the stairs to complete the visit (you could take the elevator).
    Read more