Satellite
  • Day 3

    Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery

    August 7, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Scotland's "most popular" gallery certainly lived up to its label, with a wonderful selection of artworks and museum pieces available for all to see, free of charge. Housed in a beautiful stone building, both Scottish and international artists are well-represented. We were impressed by the diversity of works presented - everything from a full-size Spitfire to Dali's Christ of St. John of the Cross (though the latter was on loan). We also enjoyed the creative way in which works were presented, with many examples of interactive and/or thought-provoking curation. I especially enjoyed some of the works by the "Glasgow Boys", an informal grouping of some 20 artists who flourished in the later 1800s and early 1900s. "The Druids - Bringing the Mistletoe" by George Henry and EA Horne evoked memories of Klimnt's "Beethoven Frieze", with its depth of colour and ethereal atmosphere. Amongst the Scottish wildlife section we discovered the elusive haggis. Some believe it to be a small creature with shorter legs on one side of its body so it can run around hills more easily!

    To our delight a Mrs Whippy van greeted us as we departed the museum . I discovered a local delicacy - scallop cones - scallop-shaped cones filled with icecream and lashings of raspberry sauce. Yum! Finishing our treats we headed off in search of The Tall Ship - a restored Victorian sailing ship now marine museum located on the Clyde River. Or at least that's where we thought we were headed.
    Read more