Satellite
  • Day 3

    Riverside Museum

    August 7, 2017 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Glasgow is located on the north bank of the River Clyde and was once the centre of a major ship building industry. Indeed, the city was an industrial giant until the 1970s. The Riverside Museum is a dramatic zinc-panelled building housing an impressive array of transport-related exhibits. It's crammed full of trains, trams, cars, bikes and a myriad of other transportation modes (including an impressive skateboard collection), representing different phases in the development of Glasgow. It was truly impressive and somewhat overwhelming, especially for two somewhat jet-lagged folk who'd already spent the morning at Kelvingrove! Much more than simply a collection of old vehicles, the displays provided insight into the social impact of transport on the city.

    Adjacent to this museum is the Tall Ship, a maritime museum based on a restored Victorian sailing vessel. We'd seen the tall masts of this ship from our BNB - indeed this is what prompted our visit to the Riverside Museum. However, exhausted after 2 museums and our walk in the park we headed home, succumbing to jet-lagged fueled sleep. Somewhat rested we headed out to the rather oddly named (but highly recommended) Roastit Bubbly Jocks restaurant - our first proper dinner of the trip (bread and jam had been more than adequate up till now). A wondeful meal of guinea fowl, washed down with a lovely Spanish red, all overseen by a delightful host. Definitely worth a revisit.
    Read more