Satellite
  • Day 6

    Silk Road beginnings

    May 21, 2019 in China ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    We arrived in Xi'an by bullet train - reaching speeds of just over 300km/hr meant the trip took a mere 5 hours. A bustling metropolis of 10 million, high rise apartments dominate the skyline outside of the city's 12m high wall. Inside, more modest towers reflect height restrictions. Built in 1370, the rammed earth wall forms a 14km perimeter around the city centre. It's possible to walk or cycle this wall, something we did on our last morning.

    The city served as capital to 11 dynasties over a period of 4000 years. It peaked during the Tang dynasty because of its position at the eastern end of the Silk Road. Xi'an can therefore be considered as the beginning of the Silk Road (from the eastern end).

    After settling in to our modest hotel we headed out to explore the city. First stop was the Muslim Quarter, a wonderful collection of narrow lanes, with stalls selling an array of local foods plus various paraphernalia. As the name suggests, this is the hub of the Muslim community in Xi'an. and the nearby Great Mosque is one of the largest in China.

    Our guide William insisted on taking us to a "hot pot" restaurant- apparently the best in the country. In his usual style he not only ensured we had the best table, but organized a birthday cake and special bowl of noodles for Les (one of the tour group). What a hoot! Said birthday cake arrives on a trolley with music blaring and a pretty young thing holding a neon sign with happy birthday in English and Chinese! On top of all of that, we each left with a plastic back scratcher as a gift. Memorable to say the least.

    Our walk home took in the beautiful lights of the central city Bell Tower and the street lanterns.
    Read more