Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Karookoppies

    December 3, 2016 in South Africa ⋅ 🌙 6 °C

    We arrived in Graaff-Reinet where we are staying in Anthonij Rupert's hotel for the weekend. For those of you that don't know, the Rupert family is one of the most successful and wealthy families in South Africa. The hotel is amazing with beautiful pools and Cape Dutch style architecture.

    The Friday evening after arriving we went to Mark and Dorrette's rehearsal dinner which included a braai (lamb and boerewors) the traditional South African way. It was great catching up with all our friends over some Castle Lites, Savannahs and wine.

    Today it was all about getting up early, having breakfast at 6:30 and leaving for our hike in the Valley of Desolation before it started getting too hot. The weather forecast for today is 43 degrees, so it's going to be a scorcher! The views from the National Park were breathtaking! It's mind blowing how the rock formations and cliffs were formed by nature millions of years ago and it's living proof of the great powers of God. While on the hike we also stumbled upon baboons, monkeys and the ultimate highlight, two beautiful Kudu bulls.

    Heading back to the hotel now for some chilling by the pool before we start getting ready for the wedding.

    - Chris
    Read more