Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Unplanned Jozi stopover

    December 5, 2016 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    We were supposed to be arriving at our apartment in NYC at this moment but instead our flight from PE to Joburg yesterday was delayed and we ended up missing our flight to NYC. Coming in to Joburg we had terrible lightning and turbulence, the pilot circled for about 20 minutes and at times it felt like we were never going to get this plane on the ground.

    After sorting out the mess with SAA, we decided that we should just make the most of the situation and get a hotel in Sandton and do some touristy things during the next day before we leave for the airport. We had a yummy breakfast at Tasha's in Mandela Square, took a selfie in front of Madiba and went to the Joburg Zoo afterwards. It was a nice experience, seeing some monkeys from Madagascar, tigers and other exotic animals. I have to say the zoo is kind of run down, with little upkeep and effort being made to make it a tourist attraction. It's a pity that so many Government run institutions are falling into neglect in our current system.

    Let's hope all goes well with our final flight tonight.

    - Chris
    Read more