Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Diwali and Pho Viet

    October 17, 2019 in Malaysia ⋅ 🌧 25 °C

    Went back to 1-Utama for a Vietnamese dinner. Other than the food was fantastic, we were most intrigued by the tea pot and how the handle actually makes it easy to hold.

    In 1-Utama they are preparing for Diwali by producing a large Kolam using coloured rice

    Diwali, Divali, Deepavali or Dipavali is a four to five day-long (varying as per Hindu Calendar) festival of lights, which is celebrated by Hindus, Jains, Sikhs and some Buddhists every autumn in the northern hemisphere (spring in southern hemisphere).

    One of the most popular festivals of Hinduism, Diwali symbolises the spiritual "victory of light over darkness, good over evil and knowledge over ignorance." Light is a metaphor for knowledge and consciousness. During the celebration, temples, homes, shops and office buildings are brightly illuminated. The preparations, and rituals, for the festival typically last five days, with the climax occurring on the third day coinciding with the darkest night of the Hindu lunisolar month Kartika. In the Gregorian calendar, the festival generally falls between mid-October and mid-November.

    Forgot to mention dropping off for a combination dessert of two favourites, cendol and durian ... yes a durian cendol!
    Read more