Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Agnes Waters and 1770

    November 13, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Just as we set off we asked another traveller, what is there to see between the lake and Agnes Waters? “Nothing, it’s all scrub” was the response.

    The journey started off well, along Bruce Highway. We then turned off onto a single track road that then widened a bit, then became gravel, then tarmac, then gravel, then tarmac and so forth. We could do little more than 30mph along the road, but that came with its own benefits from the amusement we derived from the house mail containers, I will do a footprint about them later as I believe that we go back along the same road tomorrow and can take pictures of some we missed. We also stopped to take pictures of possums and try to spot koalas - but we didn’t manage that.

    We arrived in Agnes Waters and went straight to the recommended campsite that is situated about a mile from the town. We found a space and decided to walk into town to buy food for the evening. Given the heat, the walk and the hill we’d just come up, we agreed to drive into town to get the food.

    Many towns have a sign saying Welcome to XXXX, we are RV friendly. The grey nomads who have packed their world into caravans or Motorhomes, bring quite good business to the local economy so they are welcomed in most places. Unfortunately, Agnes Waters is not one of them. The car park prohibited our entry.

    We wandered one set of shops, found a cafe for an iced coffee, looked for a place for dinner and asked locals what there was to see around here. The recommendations were to watch the sunset at 1770 and to visit the paper bark forest.

    While drinking the iced coffee we a.so agreed that we (I?) didn’t like the campsite and we’d try on that runs almost onto the beach. They had space so we stopped there. Once parked we went back to another set of shops, bought a few things, back to Bertha and then drove off to watch the sun go down. “Seventeen Seventy, also written as 1770, is a coastal town and locality in Gladstone Region, Queensland, Australia, built on the site of the second landing in Australia by James Cook and the crew of HM Bark Endeavour in May 1770”. We stopped along the beach, pulled a couple of beers from the fridge (you can do that when your house is in the car) and sat to watch the sun go down. It was very busy with maybe 30 people on the beach, rocks and benches.

    We went to a small Thai restaurant for dinner that is run by a husband and wife. The guy is Australian, the wife is Thai. He is a grumpy old git, runs the front of house, helps with food preparation and she does the cooking. It’s not licensed, the menus is limited and they only have four tables. They open at 5 or 5:30 and stop cooking when they’ve had enough, maybe 7:30. Because they also do take always, they may turn customers away despite having empty tables. This obviously causes upset to some who the write a comment on Trip Advisor. The guys responses are brilliant. We really enjoyed the food and the cat wasn’t in the kitchen and the kitchen was cleaner than most we come across in KL
    Read more