Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    Feeding fish, stroking sharks

    December 1, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    We booked to go to Fraser Island on Monday, today is Sunday.

    We have a packed day of entertainment lined up. Live music and one market, then another market and then, this evening, more live music in a local theatre.

    Unfortunately the wind has become stronger than yesterday with the result that the powerboat racing has been cancelled, or was that because the two favourited crashed yesterday and one boat burnt to the water level? The markets have been cancelled because the stall holders’ insurance doesn’t cover winds of this strength. The live music this evening ... well, despite being advertised as “every Sunday”, it hasn’t been on for months; someone who does the campsite information sheets is just reproducing them without checking what’s on.

    What to do? Decided to go to the aquarium, good reviews and they use real sea water and natural light. Ayer that we will drop into a bar that does live music.

    The aquarium was great. Very small and only half a dozen tanks around the central large tank. At 2:30 the public can help feed the fish. The fish are enthusiastic and the public lose the odd finger and get wet, but a good time is had by everyone, Then we all went outside to feed the turtles and the sharks. Once they’ve been fed, you can stroke them. For the sharks we were advised not to stroke them until their teeth had gone past.

    The live music bar was lovely, but we were two of only four people in it. When the other couple left we felt duty bound to stay so that we didn’t leave the lone keyboard player/singer on his own. In the end we plucked up courage and left, leaving him to sing to an empty bar. So sad 🙁

    We hadn’t had an ice cream for a few days and came across a kiosk that sold proper ice creams. We were served up two humongous ice creams. Bun sensibly asked for hers in a pot, I had mine in a cone. By the time we’d taken a photo of the two impressive offerings, mine was dripping everywhere. I had to go back to the kiosk and ask for a tub to pour my now, almost, liquid ice cream into. They were so ridiculously large that we didn’t eat anything else that afternoon or evening. We went back to Bertha and packed to go to Fraser Island on Monday morning.
    Read more