Satellite
  • Day 90

    Djanbung Gardens Permaculture

    January 9, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    Bertha started OK this morning

    Permaculture is a set of design principles centered on whole systems thinking, simulating, or directly utilizing the patterns and resilient features observed in natural ecosystems. It uses these principles in a growing number of fields from regenerative agriculture, rewilding, and community resilience. It originally meant "permanent agriculture", but was expanded to stand also for "permanent culture", since social aspects were integral to a truly sustainable system as inspired by Masanobu Fukuoka's natural farming philosophy.

    “Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted and thoughtful observation rather than protracted and thoughtless labor; and of looking at plants and animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single product system."

    OK, I don’t want to be cynical but this place struck me as a lady who bought a plot of grazing land, let most of it return to scrub and woodland, planted a few asparagus and vegetables (an allotment or vegetable garden) and gets a grant from a college plus students to come and dig the soil. It was an interesting walk but oh so tired.

    Maybe I would have been in a better frame of mind had I not dropped Bun’s yoghurt on the floor this morning and then not had anything to drink because the milk was off ... well had turned to yoghurt - but not a good type. When we arrived the cafe didn’t exist!

    by Masanobu Fukuoka's natural farming philosophy
    Read more