Satellite
  • Day 91

    Onwards to Yamba

    January 10, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    The most expensive park to stay in and the worst night’s sleep. Most campsites have a curfew of around 9 or 9:30 after which you are expected to be quiet. Groups of people were still chatting past 11:00 which was frustrating as we wanted to get up early to go to the market. Then, for some reason, neither of us could sleep. Our site was on the edge of the camp, the other side of the fence was a public car park. Cars came and went throughout the night. At around 7:00am a workman came to the public car park to clear the sand from the drain. Steel shovel on a stone car park followed by a pressure washer. Yes, we were up early, but didn’t feel much like doing anything.

    But it’s an adventure so got up, walked over the dunes and onto Tallow Beach where people were already surfing, sunbathing, swimming, jogging etc. The sun rising over the sea made a great picture.

    Onto Mullumbimby Market via a dirt road over another range of hills, wasn’t expecting that. The farmers market only had about 30 stalls but a good range of fresh produce.

    We drove back to the coast via Brunswick Heads where we stopped for a walk along the beach. Like other estuaries, families appear to spend their time in the river rather than the sea. The little beaches are sandy and safe. Then on to Byron Bay where the more affluent hippies intermingle with back packers. We have seen more Tesla’s in the last 24hrs (and a Lamborghini SUV - never knew they made those) than during the rest of our time in Australia. While it has a good vibe, the beach was really crowded.

    We drove up to see the lookout, but the car park was full and decided not to try the lighthouse, there will be more further along the coast.

    Drove via Broken head to Lennox Head where we stopped for lunch and another walk along the beach, then drove towards Yamba where we had booked a campsite on the north shore of the Clarence River, Yamba is on the south shore. The site is smaller, far less busy and we can see the river from river from Bertha. We hope we will have a good night 🤞

    DON’T BE a TOSSER - this was on a big notice on the main road and asks people not to”toss” stuff out of tier car. We missed the sign but found another for the same campaign about cigarette ends. Some of the fires in the area are believed to have been caused by cigarette ends. On the drive down we went past mile after mile of burnt forest.
    We drove via Broken Head to Lennox Head
    Yamba
    Read more