Satellite
  • Day 101

    Blue Mountains - Three Sisters

    January 20, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    I could do many posts about our day in the Blue mountains, but won’t. They are awesome, bigger, deeper, higher and wider than I imagined. The geology is hard sandstone and I guess it is this that gives the near vertical drops of around 100m that makes the lookouts so good and some of the walks so petrifying for me as I don’t like some heights.

    We started at three sisters, probably the most famous of the lookouts. There are various stories about how they were formed, but the common theme is that they are three daughters (Meehni, Wimlah and Gunnedoo) of a wizard. The daughters were in danger so he turned them into the three peaks, then something happened that either killed him or he turned himself into a Lyrebird and lost his wand; whatever happened, he couldn’t turn them back to humans. They look great from the lookout but Dom took us along the walk down to the first one. The path is fine until we reached metal ladders down to a wooden bridge and across to the rock. From the rock is a vertical drop to the canyon.

    As we left it started to thunder and lightening. On to Govette Leap lookout

    Later that day we learnt that two people were struck by lightening 30 minutes or so after we left. They both survived. We believe the steel ladder they were on was hit.
    Read more