Satellite
  • Day 103

    Ferry to Manly Beach

    January 22, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    We’d planned to go to Manly Beach on the way to Sydney, but Dom suggested the ferry from Sydney to the beach as part of our day in Sydney.

    The ferry left from the harbour with the bridge on one side and the opera house on the other, so different views of both. The harbour appeared really busy, ferries, yachts, small sailing dingies and windsurfers. Not sure about windsurfing as there are sharks in the harbour. All the way around the harbour there are numerous small beaches, some with shark nets, some without.

    Manly has two beaches, the harbour and the sea beaches. The harbour has shark nets, the sea has lifeguards and many people surfing. Unfortunately the recent storms had piled a large amount of seaweed on the beach and in the sea. Playing in the surf I could feel things grappling my legs ... not pleasant.

    The ferry back rather fooled us. We knew we wanted to be at the front to get the views as we went between the bridge and opera house. The ferry to the beach had gone in front first so we headed to that end. As the ferry pulled back we waited for it to turn around, it didn’t. Damn thing goes in both directions without turning around, so we had to move to the other “front”.
    Read more