Satellite
  • Day 107

    Australia Day b’fast, Jamberoo and walk

    January 26, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    Today is Australia Day, it celebrates the British first fleet arriving in Sydney. These days it’s supposed to be reflective of what makes Australia, Australia; and what it means to be Australian. There are celebrations, awards, honours, citizenships, music and ... breakfast.

    The town’s celebrations took place in the show ground next to where we are camped. At 7:30 the tested the PA. By 8:00 the band were playing Waltzing Matilda and by 9:45 we’d heard three renditions of it. 10:00 speeches and thanks to the rural fire service (RFS) for saving the place. All finished by 11:00.

    The most surprising thing I learnt was that the local chamber of commerce had bought the RFS some masks with smoke filters to help them combat the fire. It appears that they are not equipped with the best equipment unless the locals donate it.

    We then drove to Jamberoo who were holding their monthly market, but when we arrived there were very few stalls so we went and found an iced coffee before setting off to Minamurra Rainforest Centre.

    The centre has a couple of boardwalks, one circular and another, coming off the circular one, to the waterfall. Despite it being hot and sweaty 🥵 , we decided to do them both. The most exciting part being that we saw a few lyrebirds that we had never seen before.

    Back to Jamberoo to meet my cousin who drove down from Sydney to meet us.
    Read more