Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 110

    Jervis Bay Beaches - day two

    January 29, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    What a difference a day and a few miles makes. Today is sunny and warm, the sea is clear and blue, very little trace of seaweed in the sea.

    We decided to go on a walk to see a. Couple of bays and an aboriginal cave.

    We parked up near Abraham Bosoms Beach and walked to the “reefs pool” to find a natural pool in the rocks with steps down into the water. This wasn’t like other pools that are refreshed by the sea at high tide, this was the sea but with rocks around to break the waves and give a good swimming area. We decided to come back to that later.

    We set off along Abraham Bosoms Beach beach, paddled in the sea and then over a headland to Whale Point where there is the wreck of SS Merimbula. At the time of the wrecking she was a very advanced vessel, but not any more, just some rusty junk on the edge of some rocks. Happily no one was lost when the ship wrecked.

    We the. Walked around to Wilson’s Beach that is promoted as a great snorkelling beach. There was a spear fisherman there who hadn’t caught anything in the four hours he’d been in the sea. The swell was quite large and the current across the point was a bit uncertain. Having gone around the point the wind was quite strong.

    We scrambled up the rocks at the back of the beach, back onto the path again and walked on to Abraham’s Head and Mermaid’s Cove. The cove was beautiful, about 60m wide but protected by rocky headlands. The sand was course and the beach quite quickly shelved so that we were in 4ft within 15 ft of the beach. It was glorious.

    We continued our walk inland to find the aboriginal cave dwelling, not dissimilar to the one that Dom had shown us.

    After that we walked back to the “pool” and went for a swim and snorkel. The water was crystal clear but not an abundance of life other than an group of maybe 15-20 Australian Toad Fish, members of the puffer fish family. None bigger than 6” and many almost totally buried in the sand. We’ve only ever seen puffer fish swimming about and never in groups of as many as this.

    Back to Bertha, iced coffee and drove to Callahan au and then Callahan Beach, neither of which were remarkable. We carried on around the bay to Huskisson ... well not around the bay becuase there isn’t a road; we had to go inland, pick up the A1 for a few miles and then back down to the bay.

    Huskisson has a small port and a long promenade along to Vincentia and Plantation Point. We loose around the town, found a campsite, walked along the promenade and beach and then back into town to have dinner at “The World Famous Fish & Chips”. That’s what it is called, it doesn’t have anything to prove that is world famous other than what the owner says ie along the lines of .... you come from England and know about the fish and chips, other people come here from all around the world on holiday and eat at the shop, so it’s famous around the world! The food was extremely tasty.

    We then found a pub, had a beer, looked over the sea, contemplated life, well our version of it,went back to Bertha and went to bed.
    Read more